Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stephen James

One of my brothers came to visit me this weekend which was the most amazing gift ever....
I can't remember the last time i spent 2 solid days with him in years and the weekend was a blessing.
Stephen and I were very close when we were little- inseparable actually.... he was my best friend for most of my childhood.
Me & Steve in the closet at the Causeway Street houseMe and Stevie warming up our toesiessssMe & Stevie "helping" move into the Oriole Road house
Me and Stevie reading with our Grandmother, Oma
somewhere around middle school we started to grow apart. i love my brother more than he will ever understand but we were very different and due to various circumstances my relationship with my family, including him, deteriorated over the years. about a year and a half ago, though, Stephen and my father showed up at my apartment and without revealing too much personal information, i can say that our relationship hasn't been the same since. i needed them that week and they were here for me- unasked, unexpected, just here.
since then i have seen stephen twice, but never really spent much time with him one-on-one. this weekend was something that i know i definitely needed.... i was nervous before he got here but it turned out to be an incredible experience. i love him so much and i felt like a little kid with him here :) i feel so much closer to my brother now. we are not nearly as different as i used to believe.
sooooo what did we do...... well he got here friday night and we went out to dinner. then i showed him how i usually spend my fridays, and we finished the evening at marathon having hot chocolate and tea with rachel, rachel, katie and patrick and then a snowball fight in the park (which naturally, stephen instigated heheh).
Steve, Me & Rachel
Saturday we woke up to TWO FEEEEEEET of snow... it was sooooooo pretty. we went down to old city and steve got to meet my friend carole and then we had breakfast. the city was so dead it was spooky.... there were no cars out and people were walking in the middle of the streets because the sidewalks hadn't been shoveled yet- it felt like we were in another century before cars were invented or something :)
Me & Stephen in the park (he's wearing my coat... he thought
he was leaving the snow in boston but it followed him here)
then we just relaxed all day and watched tv and looked at old pictures and took like a zillion naps..... saturday night we went to alexis's for a birthday/valentines day/game night party which was a lot of fun. i was so proud that everyone got to meet my baby brother :)
this morning we went to sandy's diner for some breakfast and then hung out until his train around 2:30.
Steve in the WILDERNESS
SnOoOoOoWy!
all in all i couldn't have asked for a better weekend. he was only supposed to stay for one night, but the weather was truly a blessing because after these two days i feel closer to my brother than i have in years.
family is a sore spot for me, but slowly god is helping me fix that... <3
xoxox

Me & Steve circa.... umm... 2004?
To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. ~Clara Ortega

No comments:

Post a Comment